About the Coalition
Protecting Communities from Counterfeit & Stolen Goods
The Buy Safe America Coalition represents a diverse group of responsible retailers, consumer groups, manufacturers, intellectual property advocates and law enforcement officials who support efforts at all levels of government to protect consumers and communities from the sale of counterfeit and stolen goods.
What We Believe
Consumers & Safety
- Stolen, counterfeit, expired and defective products, goods made with unsafe levels of chemical substances, and items that do not meet US quality and safety standards have flooded dominant online marketplaces.
- Dominant online marketplaces must protect consumers from bad actors seeking to defraud consumers into believing their products are legitimate, and most importantly, safe.
- Law enforcement needs the tools and resources to investigate, track and prosecute organized criminal activity that targets Main Street stores and unsuspecting consumers.
Transparency & Protecting Legitimate Businesses
- The anonymity granted to third-party sellers on online marketplaces has allowed bad actors to hide in the shadows and deceive customers into purchasing counterfeit or stolen goods.
- It must be the responsibility of platforms to collect and verify basic identifying information from third-party sellers, and it should be clear to consumers exactly who they are buying from.
- The sale of counterfeit and fraudulent goods hammers legitimate businesses and costs the U.S. economy hundreds of billions of dollars. The marketplace today for common, everyday goods is flooded with counterfeit and stolen products designed to make money by deceiving consumers. Absent reform, legitimate businesses and valued American brands employing millions of workers will continue to be harmed.
- The claim by dominant online marketplaces that collecting and verifying basic seller information is too difficult, too complicated, or too burdensome is unfounded, as many third-party marketplace platforms employ some of the most sophisticated data scientists and logistics professionals in the world.
- Dominant online marketplaces make commissions and fees every time a stolen, counterfeit, or unsafe item is sold on one of these platforms. Big Tech cannot be left to solve a problem from which they currently generate immense and growing profits, Congress needs to act.
Buy Safe America Solution
We will work with our partners and policymakers to:
- Support verified seller standards to ensure legitimate small businesses can use the Internet to reach customers around the globe, and bad actors can be identified and stopped.
- Ensure third-party sellers provide verified contact information to consumers.
- Push for greater resources and better collaboration among law enforcement to target sophisticated criminal rings and investigate the connection between organized retail crime (ORC) and other criminal activity.
Congress must pass legislation that requires online marketplaces to collect and verify basic information of third parties who sell products on their platforms. The Integrity, Notification, and Fairness in Online Retail Marketplaces for Consumers (INFORM) Act does exactly that by requiring online marketplaces to obtain and verify straightforward information from third-party sellers' such as their government ID, tax ID, bank account information and contact information. It also requires third-party sellers to disclose their information to consumers.
How to Support
For more information on the Buy Safe America Coalition, please email email@example.com.
Impact of Counterfeit and Stolen Goods
The ease of selling illicit goods to unsuspecting consumers has attracted organized criminal networks that are becoming more aggressive, manipulative and brazen as a growing number of Americans shop online amid the pandemic.Learn More
The INFORM Consumers Act
The time is now for Congress to modernize consumer protection laws by requiring online marketplaces to collect and verify basic seller information, and for sellers to provide that information to consumers.Learn More
What is Organized Retail Crime
Criminals are increasingly turning to online marketplaces to quickly and discretely move mass quantities of stolen merchandise. Unfortunately, these criminal rings are growing more brazen and violent, putting the safety of customers and store employees in jeopardy.Learn More